Stucco is a versatile exterior siding material preferred by most property owners. Probably, you are one of those who are in love with the sleek and sophisticated stucco work on the exterior walls of your house. Why not? Stucco is affordable, durable, fire-resistant, and customizable. You can choose the finish and texture as you wish.
To every homeowner, the external appearance of the home is a significant matter of consideration. So, apparently, it is one of the most vital decisions you make, influencing the coming days. Now, we know why stucco is a popular choice apart from other materials like vinyl, wood, etc.
However, stucco on the exterior surfaces is more susceptible to damage than on the interiors. We have too many reasons to explain the cause, and we are sure you too are perhaps dealing with some of them!
Stucco damage is not uncommon, and if you have holes or cracks in your stucco, you are not the only one! However, instead of panicking or getting worried, take your first attempt at stucco repair Queens by calling a professional promptly. Never try to DIY, as the results can be disastrous, and you may end up causing more damage.
Also, stucco repair is not a Sunday job which you can do leisurely without any experience! Today, we will provide you with a complete guide for stucco repair, and you will know the level of skill and expertise required for the task.
So, let’s begin.
Stucco Repair: A Step-by-Step Guide
Though a durable material, damages can occur in stucco due to several reasons. These include:
- Constant exposure to extreme temperatures
- Persistent freeze-thaw cycles
- Excessive moisture
- Improper flashing installation
- Soil settlement
- Physical impact
- Improper stucco composition
- Dry or missing caulking around doors and windows
- Staining and discoloration
- Mold and mildew
- Lack of drainage
Thus, there are a host of factors responsible for the cracks, holes, crumbling, and decay of stucco. But the good news is most of them are fixable until the damage is too severe.
Efficient stucco repair Brooklyn can restore the look and structural stability of your stucco through the following process:
- The damaged area is examined thoroughly to determine its source and extent. Your stucco repair contractor will implement various tools and techniques to evaluate the condition.
- If the damage is critical and has affected the internal framework, then replacement is always the best option. It will extend the life of your stucco and promote structural strength and stability.
- However, for other types of damage like holes or cracks, repair begins by cleaning the area thoroughly to remove loose materials, dirt, and debris. The job is done carefully and cautiously so as not to cause damage to the adjacent area and the lath underneath. Stucco contractors Queens have extensive expertise and experience to execute the task effortlessly.
- Adequate surface preparation is crucial to ensure the secured adhesion of the repair material. So, small cracks are widened in a V-shape using a putty knife. Large holes are cut into a square or rectangular shape with a reciprocating saw. It offers a clear edge for the stucco to stick to.
- Now comes the trickiest part- making the stucco mix. The stucco composition must be proportionate and match the texture of the existing stucco work. Portland cement, lime, sand, and water are the ingredients of the stucco mix. However, all the proportions must be in ideal quantity to achieve the desired results.
- The mixture is then applied on the damaged surface with a trowel. It is put in layers to attain the required thickness and texture. However, always allow each layer to cure completely before applying the next one.
- To finish off, smoothen the surface with a sanding block and allow it to dry. The curing time depends on the number of coats applied. Once your stucco is completely dry, apply primer to ensure a flawless finish and proper adhesion of paint. Always choose a weatherproof paint for the external surfaces. It offers prolonged durability and enhances energy efficiency.
So, what do you think? Isn’t it best to leave the stucco repair to the professionals? But always take prompt action to address any damage. Delays only bring more problems. And stucco replacement cost is always more than stucco damage repair cost. So, unless you want to spend more money, be sure not to neglect any sign of damage. With repair comes maintenance- the two most significant solutions to enjoy a beautiful repairing stucco home for years!